Volunteer Position: Technical Artist for GLIMMER
Project Vanguard: A Modern Day Scottish Odyssey is Hitcher Encounters’ latest ARG commissioned by the Immersive Learning Research Network for the 2024 Conference in Scotland. Structured as a clue-based mystery game, this bespoke intimate design invites conference attendees to engage with featured research, experiment with a variety of game mechanics and evaluate its application in educational environments.
GLIMMER (Global Learning Initiative: Metaverse Mechanics Exploration and Restoration) is in the form of a walking simulator that a player can open on a web browser optimized for desktops. This game is a part of the narrative in Project Vanguard.
Commitment: (flexible/varied) Minimum 10 hours/week, Meetings once per week
iLRN is a dynamic non-profit organization serving the immersive learning professional community through innovative programming, networking opportunities, and events. We are expanding our involvement with Alternate Reality Games (ARGs) and need dedicated volunteers to make this possible.
About Hitcher Encounters:
Hitcher Encounters, formed in 2020, is a UK-based immersive and interactive entertainment company that specializes in experimental productions that blend fiction and reality. These unconventional experiences break the expected separation between audience and performers while seamlessly blending theatre with a diverse range of multimedia platforms.
As a Technical Artist you will play a pivotal role in crafting the visual elements of the web-based walking simulator for Project Vanguard: A Modern Day Scottish Odyssey. In collaboration with the immersive learning community, iLRN, and Hitcher Encounters, you will be responsible for creating an immersive game environment that captivates players and enhances their engagement with featured research.
- Craft an immersive game environment using existing assets and leveraging Unity's capabilities to create visually stunning and cohesive visuals.
- Apply Shading, Effects, and post-processing techniques to enhance the overall look and feel of the game, elevating its visual appeal.
- Collaborate closely with the programming team to understand project requirements, integrate art assets seamlessly, and ensure that the artistic vision aligns with the technical implementation.
- Proficiency in Unity, with a deep understanding of the engine's capabilities, particularly in relation to art assets and aesthetics.
- Familiarity with version control systems, specifically GitHub, to effectively manage and track art assets.
- Expertise in Unity Shading, Effects, and post-processing to enhance the visual quality and immersion of the game.
- The ability to create low-poly 3D models as needed, contributing to the art assets pool as required by the project.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to send a brief introduction and links to any previous work/portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: "Technical Artist Volunteer Application – Your Name" and visit our volunteer website to learn more.
Please note: While this is a volunteer position, iLRN is deeply committed to recognizing and valuing the time and expertise of all team members. We welcome you to join our team and look forward to working with you!
Thank you for considering volunteering with iLRN!