Volunteer Position: Game Developer for GLIMMER
Project Vanguard: A Modern Day Scottish Odyssey is Hitcher Encounters’ latest ARG commissioned by the Immersive Learning Research Network for the 2024 Conference in Scotland. Structured as a clue-based mystery game, this bespoke intimate design invites conference attendees to engage with featured research, experiment with a variety of game mechanics and evaluate its application in educational environments.
GLIMMER (Global Learning Initiative: Metaverse Mechanics Exploration and Restoration) is in the form of a walking simulator that a player can open on a web browser optimized for desktops. This game is a part of the narrative in Project Vanguard.
Commitment: (flexible/varied) Minimum 10 hours/week, Meetings once per week
iLRN is a dynamic non-profit organization serving the immersive learning professional community through innovative programming, networking opportunities, and events. We are expanding our involvement with Alternate Reality Games (ARGs) and need dedicated volunteers to make this possible.
About Hitcher Encounters:
Hitcher Encounters, formed in 2020, is a UK-based immersive and interactive entertainment company that specializes in experimental productions that blend fiction and reality. These unconventional experiences break the expected separation between audience and performers while seamlessly blending theatre with a diverse range of multimedia platforms.
You will play a pivotal role in creating an immersive web-based walking simulator for Project Vanguard: A Modern Day Scottish Odyssey. You will be responsible for developing a gateway game that serves as a portal to access other games within the narrative. This role offers a unique opportunity to contribute to a cutting-edge ARG project with educational applications, working in collaboration with a forward-thinking team from iLRN and Hitcher Encounters.
- Develop a gateway game that serves as a portal to access other games, ensuring a seamless and engaging player experience.
- Create interactive game mechanics and implement systems to record player progress, fostering an immersive and rewarding gaming experience.
- Collaborate closely with other team members to understand project requirements and integrate feedback into the development process.
- Experience in Game Development: Candidates should have prior experience in game development, with a portfolio of past games they have worked on.
- Proficiency in Game Engines: Proficiency in Unity, with a strong understanding of game development within the engine is required.
- Version Control: Familiarity with version control systems (particularly GitHub) to collaborate effectively with the team.
- Knowledge of WebGL and an understanding of interaction with browser scripting, with a bonus for related skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in both collaborative team settings and independently on smaller tasks.
- A genuine passion for game development and an enthusiasm for the craft.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to send a brief introduction and links to any previous work/portfolio to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: "Game Developer Volunteer Application – Your Name" and visit our volunteer website to learn more.
Please note: While this is a volunteer position, iLRN is deeply committed to recognizing and valuing the time and expertise of all team members. We welcome you to join our team and look forward to working with you!
Thank you for considering volunteering with iLRN!